Our Chris Craft Catalina 372

On April 3, 2018, we officially purchased a 1990 Chris Craft Catalina 372.  This vessel is an aft-cabin motor yacht, primarily to be used as a floating condo but we do intend to do some traveling on her as well.

Our journey to find her started five years ago as an idea for "the future."  About a year ago, we started half-assed looking to find a houseboat.  We decided, after looking at a number of houseboats, that we would be too constrained by a houseboat and its inability to go out into blue water.  We live in South Louisiana and have easy and local access to the Mississippi Sound, including the fun-ish islands of Cat, Ship, etc. and we would like to be able to weekend out there occasionally.

We called a listed broker about a Viking something-or-another about six weeks ago.  The broker said, "that is a project boat, but we have this Chris Craft you should see."  We knew she was the right boat for us the minute we saw her.  She was retrofitted with diesel engines that have negligible hours on them and will outlive either me or the captain.   She is in great shape, a few little wear-and-tear things and some cosmetic improvements, and she will be the perfect vessel.

Here's a little about us.

The Admiral (that's me):  Sarah.  I own the boat.  I grew up spending hours on my dad's sailboats and can tie a decent knot, but that is about all that I know about boats.  I do work in the oil industry in a boat-related world, but it's a completely different world, and besides, I am not on the boats for work and know very little about those boats, too.  I AM reviewing an online boat safety program and intend to ultimately study for and get my six pack captain's license, mostly because insurance is expensive as hell.

The Captain: Rick.  He's my best friend and partner in life, and we are the best matched pair in the world.  He's a very experienced boat pilot and has a bajillion hours on much larger craft than the Castaway.  It is his job to educate me.  So far, so good.  I've learned to steer enough to keep her straight.  And he still does the docking.

The First Mate:  Caleb. He's eleven.  He likes video games and doesn't like to go outdoors. That being said, he did a really good job cleaning the forward head (forehead, hereafter) and his mom (that's also me) is proud of him for stepping up.  Part of the glory of boat ownership is to get that kid's face out of a screen and into the sun.

Updates for week one of ownership are pending - I'll write about her once or twice a week.  Probably more at first because shit breaks daily on a boat, I am finding out.  Pictures, too, when I can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's fine because they don't call it "catching" so no I didn't catch anything and nobody cares, actually.

Batteries are heavy, fyi.

A Little Bit Famous