Closing Time. One last call for alcohol...

We closed on the purchase of m/v Castaway on Tuesday afternoon.  This followed six abhorrent weeks of trying to get a survey, get insurance, do this, do that blah blah blah that was among the worst six weeks of my life.

During the time we were under contract, the seller gave us permission to crawl all over her and fool with whatever we wanted, pretty much.  We cleaned a lot (not enough) and discovered all of the broken things.  We found immediately that we needed to replace the gaskets around the windows, which we haven't done yet.  Then we found out that the davit for the dinghy doesn't work, the anchor windlass didn't work, the macerator pump didn't work and our engines wouldn't start.

Fixed all of that except the dingy.  Mostly, stuff was just frozen up for having not been used in forever and a day.  We had a bunch of snap holes (I don't even know why) all over the fore deck and we put some crap in those, and the leaks seemed to have stopped.  That's good boating, y'all.

We took off all the linens and cleaned them and then stayed sleep on board a couple of times.

Mostly the worst of the mildew is gone and I don't cough and hack very much anymore.  I do still have pretty bad landsickness that doesn't seem to want to go away.  I hope my sea legs shore up soon.  I'm told a little sleep will make it better, and I haven't gotten a lot of that lately.

Cheers to closing, though.  I now owe a lot of money to people I'll never meet, but in return...

I own a boat.

~The Admiral

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's fine because they don't call it "catching" so no I didn't catch anything and nobody cares, actually.

Batteries are heavy, fyi.

A Little Bit Famous