It's fine because they don't call it "catching" so no I didn't catch anything and nobody cares, actually.

Two weekends ago, I had five days off of work in a row.  You would think that would equate to much boat time... but not so much, sadly.  We had three gigs during those five days, and we were busy.  Really freaking busy.  It was, also, my birthday weekend, so I was both busy and spoiled during that stretch of time.

We did stay on board on Wednesday night, a night with a lot of wine resulting in me, apparently, demanding we watch The Bodyguard.  I am certain the boys were not upset when I couldn't get the Wifi to work.  Worked fine the next morning, natch.  Probably sabotage.  I can't blame them.

I didn't even go on board again until the following Sunday evening.  We finally found a few minutes to relax and did so with great pleasure.  Nothing beats the boat life.

Fortunately, last weekend was a different story.  First mate C-Luv went to Georgia on Saturday for four weeks with his father, but I was distracted by my friend John, who wanted to go fishing.  Note that our boat is not a fishing boat, per se, but note too that it is a boat. All boats are fishing boats.

I had, at that time, never actually been fishing.

It was a super fun afternoon, with great weather and the delightful discovery that Bud Light Orange is tasty as all get out.  Besides the Cap and me, John, his daughter Victoria and Victoria's boyfriend, Colin, were on board when we sailed out to the railroad trestle to cast our lines.  Which, by the way, I am super good at doing.

Rick and John caught fish - Rick caught a pretty little puppy drum and John reeled in a hard-head catfish.  We threw the catfish back.  I caught my thumb on the hook once, but not badly, and that made it more real.  John got seasick and christened my ice chest.  Victoria was the first bikini-wearer on board to-date.  We had a fantastic day.

John holds the drum.  Which he took home.  Because he bought the beer and the bait.


Mama wore a do-rag while she learned how to work this thing.  Rick was patient.


These two good-natured kids tolerated our dad jokes and beer burps with great grace.  They made the boat look nice, too.

On Sunday we decided to do some boat chores.  I FINALLY got the shower curtain hung in the aft cabin, a process which sounds so easy but actually involved finding hard-to-find hardware and then either sewing or painstakingly setting in velcro attachments to the curtain and to the hangers (I went with Velcro).  Meanwhile, Rick was in the engine room doing engine room things like cleaning sea strainers, and it was hot as blazes.  When we were done, we realized we could finally take a nice, refreshing shower on board!  MAGIC!

CURTAIN!!!

Since we weren't disgusting, we invited our friend/neighbor Jessica to come onboard for a glass of wine and to admire our common friend, Al G (or George), who came to see what kind of snacks we were feeding the turtles (wheat thins) (alligators don't like wheat thins) (neither do catfish) (alligators do like catfish).
Totally put a blue filter on this to make our water look less disgusting.

While we were hanging out, we got to see a little 77 runabout come into the cove.  It was so freaking cute - we told her owner that, if he ever wants to sell her, please tell us first.  Because my <3 for Chris Craft is enormous (pre-Winnebago era, SIGH) and also because LOOK AT THIS CUTIE.
The Elizabeth

We would have stayed on board but we somehow managed to fry the rear Marine A/C Unit (whoopsies) and so it was kind of hot.  Which is to say, really freaking hot.  The guy is supposed to come look at it tomorrow.  I need to get it fixed before we take our long weekend to the Bay, which is coming up in two weeks!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Batteries are heavy, fyi.

A Little Bit Famous